Could you possibly have come to this page out of curiosity alone?
There actually is some ice in Arizona, though, admittedly, it doesn't
form up consistently from year to year.
- Tucson Area.
- Mt. Lemmon
- The Stain (WI3. 1 pitch). Located to the south of
the Mt Lemmon highway a few hundred yards up the slope
near milepost 11.
- Name? (WI2?). The approach gully to the base of Neptune
at the Reef of Rock on top of Mt. Lemmon is rumoured to
get iced up. Begin the approach from the winter road
closure at the ski resort; Continue up the road for a couple
hundred yards, then head down the ridge at the first hairpin
turn for perhaps a mile. Descending to begin climbing
may be the crux.
- Flagstaff Area. (Ice is an extreme rarity in the Flagstaff area,
so if you suspect the conditions are good check with the locals at
Vertical Relief Rock Gym
- Mt. Elden. Some drips freeze up to create mixed routes
of limited lifetimes in West Elden Canyon (take the road towards
the Snow Bowl ski resort).
- Paradise Forks. Some ice has been climbed above the Golden
Pond at this rock-climbing area 40 miles west of Flagstaff.
- Volunteer Canyon. Rumours suggest the possibility of ice.